Taking time to Reflect: South Africa

12:54 PM

How we got there

As the school papers pile in for me to write I find myself with a much smaller desire to blog for the most part.  Today that case is different though, I have something I want to share today.  As many of you know I was in South Africa this summer.  Josh and I got married and a week later got into a plane and left for the summer to intern with Zema.

Getting on the plane to South Africa we had very little idea what to expect.  We didn't really understand  what we would be doing day to day.  We had no idea if all the money would come in.  We were pretty much totally in the dark.  Every once in a while we would get a glimpse at our job description, but it would soon change.  Pretty quickly we just let go and decided to dive into whatever type of adventure we had gotten ourselves into.

What we found there

When we got into South Africa we were amazed at how civilized it was.  That probably sounds silly, but in my mind we would be in some tiny community with nothing nearby in the middle of the dessert. A pretty ignorant thought, I know now.  We lived thirty minutes from the mall,which was not to far from our standards of a mall.  We went to a chain grocery store to get food just like we go to Walmart here.  We drove a truck around.  We had our own house with wifi and a TV in it.  We saw white people that spoke English every time we went into town.  It felt a lot like home.

We did live in an electric fence for safety.  We didn't go out of our fence at night.  The Zulu people we worked with and I taught had a language that used clicking.  Unlike Spanish there is no way you can just kinda understand it because it sounds kinda like ours.  When you tried to speak their language it never sounded the same to them.  Racial issues are still a very big problem over their.  They use the Rand instead of the dollar.  The students do everything rather than the teacher.  Everything is way more laid back.

The most important thing about South Africa was that it is ruled by God just like the United States is.  His children and their as well as here.  We had different understandings on how life should be, but in the end we were still Christ's.  In the end we still must love and accept.

What we did there

While in South Africa I ended up filling multiple roles.  I taught English in two different schools twice a week.  I managed our South African hospitality team.  I did payroll for our South African employees.  I developed and facilitated a two day Bible club for South African children.  I hosted young South African girls in our home.  I played games with children in the community once a week.  I dealt with camp scheduling and payment.  I hosted camps.  I helped advertise and communicate with churches for the camp.  I also help hosted a mission team.

Although it might sound like a lot, I was there for two months.  Some days I was trying to find things to do.  Other days I was overwhelmed by all I had to do.  Thankfully it was never a train smash and we got through.  

What I learned

I learned a lot.  I learned how important friends and connections are for somewhere to feel like home.  I realized how nice it is to have your own things and decorate your own way.  I realized how ineffective I am when I just walk down an African street, because most of these Zulu people don't know English.  I learned how hard it is to be a good effective missionary.  I was amazed at how short two months is.  I felt really unfruitful at times because mission work is nothing like your 2 week mission trip you went on in High School.  Its not even like your two months working at a Christian summer camp.  Missions is life and its boring at times, its stressful at times, and its great at times.  To be honest missions seems like a home business.  You put what you want to put into it, your the boss of your hours.  I learned that because of that fact you need to question missionaries you are supporting and keep them accountable.

I learned that education is huge.  It is hard work to teach second language speakers, but it is worth it.  I learned that little children, if they can speak to you or not will hug you.  I also realized that although education is huge and can benefit children wildly, if they don't know Christ it doesn't matter at all.  Yes, I want to feed and cloth my brothers and sisters, but I can't get caught up on worldly charity.  The poor will always be with us.  The most important thing is that once they leave this world they leave it knowing Jesus Christ.

You Might Also Like

0 comments